old blog that sadly died...

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Arcade Fire and Prawn Sandwiches

I got a ticket to the match on saturday. Ireland versus England. History and all that! Have to say i really enjoyed it. There was a great atmosphere inside the ground and it was amazing to see Ireland beat England at a sport they really care about! We have beaten them before in Football and Rugby, but never to my recollection anyway, by such a convincing margain. We completely out classed them, and looked superior at nearly every facet of the game.
I generally don't have much interest in Rugby. Having gone to a Rugby school, you can go in one of two directions, love it or hate it. I took the second, and paid no attention to it for my formative years. This was re-doubled by the fact that my brother was good at the sport and every coach in the school figured that i was an undiscovered talent! I remember being pinned against the wall by one teacher, who was gently requesting that I give rugby a go. I did for a few weeks, but it was never for me.
My opinions on the sport have long since mellowed, but i don't generally watch it on tv, or pay that much attention to it.
My Dad offered me a ticket for the French match and I resisted, on the basis that there must be someone more deserving of the ticket. I'm sure there was, but my sister went instead, who doesn't even really know the rules of the game. My Dad offered again for the England, after someone else had cancelled on him, the day before. I didn't refuse the second time!
I am one of the very many people that didn't get tickets for Arcade Fire's incredibly expensive (thanks MCD!) gig in the Olympia. I didn't log on till five minutes past nine, and it was sold out by then. I'm a fan of Arcade Fire, but would never feel that i'm entitled to a ticket for it, just because i am. Why isn't it the same for sports? Why do people feel entitled to the tickets, even though they're not prepared to pay huge sums for them? Same as Roy Keane's complaining about the corporate whores with their prawn sandwiches. Doesn't mean he'll resist his 60 grand a week pay cheque. People that support sports teams feel linked to that team in a strange way, and therefore feel entitled to something from that team. In reality this isn't the case. Its just another bunch of entertainers playing a venue. Ok, i'm just justifying going to a match where loads of people 'woulda given their right arm to go to', but i do have a point, somewhere!

1 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

I'm still gutted i missed that one. from what i've heard, it was a great night! argh...

March 8, 2007 at 9:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home